One Note - Sharing with my boss

My boss has requested that I learn more about One Note and the options it offers so that we can share a notebook and help organize follow ups and notes from meetings.

If anyone can offer trainings that you may have found helpful.  I use Microsoft Office 365. I use the desktop option and also have access to webversion.

• 1 month later...

Did you ever find an answer?  I am looking to learn how to use One Note for the same reason. I sat in on a webinar last month that was helpful to show me what it can do. I have used just the basics of it for a couple of years. I don't share things yet with my exec but I believe doing this would be helpful to keeping both of us productive. 

• 1 month later...

I played around with OneNote before using it for work. I watched YouTube videos and then watched this webinar - https://www.allthingsadmintraining.com/capture-organize-share-onenote-webinar/

If you plan on sharing information, be careful with sharing. Test your process first to ensure you are not sharing what you don't want to share. You can have a folder but you cannot share just a tab within that folder. You'll need to create a folder that you can share.

For example, I have a folder for each direct report. I have tabs for 1:1s, performance feedback,  goals, projects, accomplishments, personal notes (when their bday is, favorite drink from Starbucks). I found one of my direct reports, I'll call her Nancy, was struggling with organizing her tasks, time management, and prioritization - ya know, key admin skills. I created a "Nancy_task" folder for her and we share and update weekly lists. She doesn't miss any tasks and communicates if something can't be done that day.

I didn't simply create a tab for her in my "Nancy" folder - since if I tried to share just that "Nancy_tasks" tab, I would've actually shared my entire "Nancy" folder - my notes regarding performance, etc. 

You can password protect tabs which I also do for the tabs where I keep sensitive information regarding performance reviews, etc.

I will say that using OneNote with the team has helped monitor their workload while working remotely during this Coronavirus crisis.

OneNote_Nancy.png

OneNote_Nancy_tasks.png

• Like 3
  • 7 months later...
On 3/19/2020 at 7:55 AM, Joanne said:

I played around with OneNote before using it for work. I watched YouTube videos and then watched this webinar - https://www.allthingsadmintraining.com/capture-organize-share-onenote-webinar/

If you plan on sharing information, be careful with sharing. Test your process first to ensure you are not sharing what you don't want to share. You can have a folder but you cannot share just a tab within that folder. You'll need to create a folder that you can share.

For example, I have a folder for each direct report. I have tabs for 1:1s, performance feedback,  goals, projects, accomplishments, personal notes (when their bday is, favorite drink from Starbucks). I found one of my direct reports, I'll call her Nancy, was struggling with organizing her tasks, time management, and prioritization - ya know, key admin skills. I created a "Nancy_task" folder for her and we share and update weekly lists. She doesn't miss any tasks and communicates if something can't be done that day.

I didn't simply create a tab for her in my "Nancy" folder - since if I tried to share just that "Nancy_tasks" tab, I would've actually shared my entire "Nancy" folder - my notes regarding performance, etc. 

You can password protect tabs which I also do for the tabs where I keep sensitive information regarding performance reviews, etc.

I will say that using OneNote with the team has helped monitor their workload while working remotely during this Coronavirus crisis.

OneNote_Nancy.png

OneNote_Nancy_tasks.png

Hi Joanne, 

Thank you for this information!  Can you tell me more about how to join All Things Admin so I can watch that webinar?  I clicked link and it sends me to a log in page.  

Thank you! 

Lindsay 

• Like 1