Dianne Gabriel

Emergency Response Plan

What is your company's Emergency Response Plan?  Do you have clear direction on what to do, where to go, how to account for all associates during an emergency or fire drill?

This came up during one of our Safety meetings.  Our company has distributed a map to all associates indicating by color where their evacuation location is.  This color is also imprinted on the associate's badge.  During our meeting, it was brought to our attention that during an actual fire a few weeks ago (fire in one of the machines), everyone was evacuated from the building, but there was a lot of confusion.  This fire happened during second shift.  When everyone was outside, there was no way for the operations floor to know who was in the building on the 2nd/3rd floor.   This is clearly a safety issue.  We are now revisiting our Emergency Evacuation plan.  Our goal is to revise the plan and have a clear policy in place to account for every associate on every shift while they are in the building.  

We have 2 way radios that the safety team use to communicate to the other side of the building to ensure everyone is accounted for.  Problem is, they walk by and ask "is everyone here?", and everyone always says yes, without actually knowing 100%.

I've attached a copy of our current color code system and a draft of a new checklist being proposed.

If anyone has anything they could share, it would be very appreciated!!  

Emergency.pdf EMERGENCY EVACUATION CHECK.docx

Hi Diane!  I'm so glad someone brought up this topic!! I've started a project recently for a risk assessment and safety plan for our annual meetings (not an easy task as our meetings are not always held in the same location or with the same people).  I had some trouble finding resources on safety planning as I'm looking to cover many different types of emergencies - medical, weather, local threats, active threats.  I finally & fortunately have found a crime prevention officer/instructor at our local technical college to coach me along with a first draft of our plan.

As I continue to work on this, headcount is one of the topics that has come up.  I have found online that there are some apps that individuals can mark themselves as "safe".  I've just started looking into this so my knowledge is only based on what I've read online.  I'd be interested in hearing if anyone else has insight with the headcount/evacuation apps, which one(s), and if they've found them helpful and user friendly??  

Also related to the contingency planning is a "go-kit".  Does anyone have one of these and if so what do you keep in it?

Great topic, Diane - hope we see some great feedback!! Enjoy your weekend.

• Like 1

Thank you Jen!!!  I am sure we're not alone in this!  

We use an app called AlertMediaPro .. we got this after the gas explosions in Lawrence, MA.  Our company is located in Lawrence, and was affected by this.  It was a very rough time trying to figure out a way to get in touch with all associates to make sure they were okay.  This app was rolled out shortly thereafter.  It's great for a lot of things, like disasters, snowstorms, etc., however, to use during work hours isn't the best solution for us mainly due to the fact that we have a large factory floor, and associates are not allowed to have their phones with them.  

I would like to hear more about the "go-kit" and what that is about.  

I'm hoping we can get some conversations going and together we can share and hopefully find something that works for us!!

• Like 2

Hi Dianne,

Your Article is important. With Fire and Safety, all buildings especially commercial and residential buildings must have a well structured and clear Emergency Evacuation plan. But remember these evacuation plans differ depending on the building Layout.

For instance, I'm working under the Integrated Facilities Management, Managing residential Skyscrapers. So we ensure that all fire panels are monitored and responded to urgently in coordination with security patrolling team. Your drafted Evacuation checklist can only be used on a one floor building. 

The best way of ensuring safety is by

1- conducting regular fire alarm drilling to train the inhabitants on how to respond to the fire situation 

2. Ensuring evacuation areas are open and clear up to the assembly point 

3. Taking immediate action in case of fire alarm and find out the exact cause of the Alarm. Sometimes it's a false alarm.

• Thanks 1

We have a policy and plan in place but we haven't revisited it since we implemented a new security system. I've identified flaws in our system but this thread has pushed me to push this topic to the top of our priorities.

• Like 2

On 6/7/2019 at 12:02 PM, Dianne Gabriel said:

What is your company's Emergency Response Plan?  Do you have clear direction on what to do, where to go, how to account for all associates during an emergency or fire drill?

This came up during one of our Safety meetings.  Our company has distributed a map to all associates indicating by color where their evacuation location is.  This color is also imprinted on the associate's badge.  During our meeting, it was brought to our attention that during an actual fire a few weeks ago (fire in one of the machines), everyone was evacuated from the building, but there was a lot of confusion.  This fire happened during second shift.  When everyone was outside, there was no way for the operations floor to know who was in the building on the 2nd/3rd floor.   This is clearly a safety issue.  We are now revisiting our Emergency Evacuation plan.  Our goal is to revise the plan and have a clear policy in place to account for every associate on every shift while they are in the building.  

We have 2 way radios that the safety team use to communicate to the other side of the building to ensure everyone is accounted for.  Problem is, they walk by and ask "is everyone here?", and everyone always says yes, without actually knowing 100%.

I've attached a copy of our current color code system and a draft of a new checklist being proposed.

If anyone has anything they could share, it would be very appreciated!!  

Emergency.pdf 345.4 kB · 22 downloads EMERGENCY EVACUATION CHECK.docx 14.47 kB · 26 downloads

Our HR and Emergency Management team came up with an idea that might help you.  They give a list of all employees that are expected to be in the building on their floor to 2 "monitors" who check everyone off after we get to the emergency meeting location.  Those 2 coordinate their lists, and report to the HR head of the team.  This has worked for us for several years.  We have 7 floors, 14 monitors, and 1 leader.  Everyone knows who their monitor is by the bright green jacket they wear.