Meeting Minutes

Without having to record meetings and listen back, what are your top tips for taking meeting minutes, especially if you are not too familiar with the topic and terminology?

I take minutes for two meeting teams and the terminology is different for each. I've tried creating templates but it's ever changing. They are discussing projects quickly and sometimes it is difficult to know what is really important to capture for those not in attendance.

TIA.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi there!!  I was in the same boat when I started working at the hospital. Cardiovascular meetings used to throw me for a loop.  But what I began doing and still do to this day is record but then I also familiarize myself with the terminology and read pretty much everything I can that goes over my COO's desk.  It helps me to understand what they are talking about and gives me better insight as to the context.  My problem is the different dialects that the physicians have. So many nationalities...  I have become friends with most of the physicians and if there is something that I am not sure of... I ask them or my COO.  One thing I have found and I am not sure if it is specialized to hospitals or not... but the minutes are pretty vague.  Unless there is a policy or procedure being voted on, they dont want every word being documented.  Not sure if that helps or not... good luck.

• 5 weeks later...

I had multiple meetings that were all different and what helped me most was recording them. I also met with each staff person that facilitated that meeting and talked with them about that project that they were meeting about. The open dialogue helped me so much and they were very appreciative of the fact that I was taking initiative in learning about their project. Good luck!

• 1 month later...

Joanne,  I have worked in a large hospital laboratory for 19 yrs,  and attend (as an active participant) various interdisciplinary meetings.  I agree with Janice811's statement - typically every word is not expected to be documented; however, this varies by department and type of meeting being held.   Being new to the medical field, the best way to become familiar with terminology and topic is to record and transcribe those meeting notes.  Also, as Marion stated, reach out if you are unclear about your non-recorded notes - the meeting attendees and facilitators will appreciate you being concise/accurate over "guessing".  Good luck!