Bree

Need Help Handling a Situation

Hello,

I was hired 2.5 months ago as a Senior Administrative Assistant.  The manager I work for has never had an Administrative Assistant and did not ask for one but was told he was getting one.  Since I've started I have not been given any concrete direction.  Any attempts to understand what responsibilities I will be taking on for him have been brushed aside with a, "We are still building a list of things for you to do."  I've been an Administrative Assistant for other managers and know what my essential job functions should be, but again I'm not being given access to the tools I would need, like calendars, emails or even managing the flow of traffic in and out of his office.   I have suggested we have daily or weekly meetings and he agrees with the idea but never commits to it.  Currently my days are spent reading books and waiting for other members of the department to give me tasks they need completed that they do not have time for.   Recently he did have me reach out to another employee to gather information for a project.  When I followed up with the employee on whether or not they were able to review the requested information, they said they went to him personally to discuss it and I had no idea.  Other assistants within the company have advised I give him time to adjust.  Should I begin being more assertive or should I continue to wait for him to decide he's ready to provide me duties?  Any feedback or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you, 

Bree

Dear Bree

I am very sorry to hear it, that things in the new office are not well organized and not really working out for you as you are used to have before. I had a similar situation with my currant boss when I just started. He never had a PA and had no idea what exactly I am supposed to do for him.  All I can say is that after 2,5 months you need to take a lead over the situation. You are a professional with experience, you KNOW what you need in order to do the work. No other department will help you, consider it as a fact, only if the order comes from your boss, ppl will start to move and provide the things you require ( Email, calendar, credit card, cell phone). Wait for a good moment when your boss is in the good mood, have a calm but strict talk to him, tell him you are there for him and you are the one who will make his work life more easier and more pleasant and stressless as you are the organizer. Tell him 1-3 examples what you are going to do and what advantage he will have by having you on his side.  He does not know what you can do or cannot do so you need to tell him that in a very caring matter, so that he gets a feeling he can trust you.

If all goes well, as it mostly does and he says yes lets do it, you can go to departments and ask for stuff you need ASAP. They will  make "faces" but you just ignore and say, BOSS SAID SO!

Good luck!

Karina Kovalova

Metalloinvest Trading AG

Switzerland